Skip to main content

Real Estate Agent E&O Insurance Checklist

Real Estate Agent Insurance Checklist

Do you know what E&O Coverage You Need?

Use the following real estate agent E&O insurance checklist to help you understand what protection you want for your business.

Are you getting all the protection you require?

Start a Quote Meet With Expert

The insurance company

When shopping for real estate agent E&O insurance, sometimes it is best to start with the big picture, the insurance company.

  • A-Rated (or higher): Make sure it is “A” Rated by A.M. Best, and has sufficient size (XV is the highest).Check at
  • Experience: The company should be and “Experienced” real estate E&O provider. One that understandsthe unique industry and business practices of the real estate professional, and has a tenure of success protecting real estate agents and brokers.
  • Dedicated Real Estate E&O Policy: Make sure that the policy is designed to cover Real Estate. “Miscellaneous”E&O policy forms usually fail to differentiate between true Independent Contractors and Agents, thus leading to potential coverage gaps for Agents’ employees, etc.

The E&O Coverage Options

The hard part is reviewing the policy itself. Very few people read the actual policy, until there is a claim. Here is a quick overview of important coverage options to check:
  • Agent-owned property: Do you plan on selling property that you own? Some policies exclude this type of transaction or only cover owner-occupied property, not rental properties. Many also require inspections, home warranties, etc.

  • Deductible: How much you need to pay in the case of a claim. Deductibles usually range from $2,500-$100,000.

  • Discipline Hearing Expense: This is usually optional. Some companies include it as part of the policy; some may include it with Risk Management.

  • Discrimination/FAIR Housing: Although not as prevalent, these claims still occur, especially if doing leasing. This coverage is usually optional.

  • First Dollar Defense: This eliminates the deductible for claims that involve only attorney’s fees. However, if damages are paid, you will likely have to pay the deductible.

  • Lock Box: Make sure you have this if you are doing listings. Some policies cover just Property Damage, not Bodily Injury. You want a policy that covers both.

  • Megan’s Law: This coverage pays for the diminished value of a property due to the undisclosed death or bodily injury of any person. This is standard on some policies, and not available on others.

  • Claims Expense Outside: This means that attorney fees are covered separately from the limit of liability.

  • Open House/Showing Coverage: Liability coverage usually only covers injuries at the office. This coverage extends injury and property damage coverage to your professional activities outside of the office, including items such as dog bites, falls, and broken property.

  • Pollution Coverage: Hidden dangers can occur, especially on older properties. This coverage is usually optional.

  • Prior Acts: Generally, E&O policies provide coverage for claims made against the named insured and its agents. So moving firms will likely cause you to lose coverage because the policy is in the firm’s name, not yours. Also, coverage must be continuous to cover prior sales. So be sure to get your own E&O policy before changing firms.

  • REOs and Short Sales: Some policies restrict or exclude these sales. If you list REOs you may want to also have property management coverage.

  • Risk Management: Having proper legal counseling can be the difference between an easy resolution and a claim. Some policies include access to an attorney before a claim is filed, not just after.

Real Estate Agent Insurance Quote

Are you ready to get protected?

You can start a quote online, or request a meeting with an agent to discuss your business insurance.

Start a Quote Meet With Expert

Additional Activities Coverage

Many E&O policies will only cover real estate sales. If you perform any of the following activities, you may want to get your own E&O policy to be properly covered.
  • Residential Leasing/Property Management: These activities may not be covered automatically. Make sure the policy covers licensed and unlicensed activities.
  • Commercial Sales / Leasing / Management: If you do Commercial activity, make sure it is included in the policy. Many policies exclude or limit commercial sales, leasing, etc.
  • Appraisals: Appraisals are not normally covered. If you do appraisals, you will need your own policy to work with mortgage companies and government entities.

  • Land: Many policies cover residential real estate sales, not land sales.

At IronPoint Insurance Services, LLC, we offer a full real estate agent practice, from business owner’s policies, workers’ compensation, commercial auto or hired and non-owned coverage. We are experts in your business. Want to know more? Here is your free risk summary for real estate professionals.