Skip to main content

Is Fire Damage Covered by Home Insurance?

 Is Fire Damage Covered by Insurance

As a homeowner, protecting your investment is crucial. After all, your home is likely the most expensive asset you own. That’s why homeowners insurance is so essential. It provides peace of mind against unforeseen events, like falling trees or water damage. But does home insurance cover fire damage?

It’s a question that’s important to answer because fires can break out anywhere and at any time. Let’s explore what is typically covered by homeowners insurance policies when it comes to fire damage, as well as what is not covered. Knowing this information will help you make informed decisions about protecting your home and your family.

How does home insurance cover fire damage?

When it comes to protecting your home from fire damage, homeowners insurance is usually the first line of defense. There are several sections of the standard policies where fire damage is covered.

Dwelling Coverage (Coverage A)

Under the ‘dwelling coverage‘ section. This typically includes damage to the main structure of your home, like the roof, walls, and foundation.

Other Structures

However, if fire damages or destroys a detached garage, shed, or any other structure that is on your property but not attached to the main structure, other structures coverage may pay to rebuild or repair those structures.

Personal Property

If there is a fire at the home, you are certain to suffer damage to your personal property. Personal property coverage may pay to repair or replace your personal belongings damaged or destroyed in a fire. Think of things like furniture, clothing, and electronics.

Like dwelling or other structures coverage, personal property is covered up to the limits you selected. It’s also subject to your deductible. Additionally, some personal belongings, like collectibles, firearms, and personal records, may have a sub-limit (which provides a specific maximum coverage amount), so check your policy or contact your insurer for details. Frequently, these can be increased by endorsement or through personal article floater.

Additional Living Expense

What if you’re unable to live in your home after a fire? Well, loss of use coverage may pay for an increase in necessary expenses associated with temporary housing. Consult your insurance provider to understand how they calculate additional living expenses, as each carrier may do this differently. 

How do home fires start?

Fires can cause extensive damage to your home, possessions, and property. Fortunately, many types of fires that are prevalent in homes are usually covered by standard homeowners insurance policies. These include fires caused by:

  • Lightning strikes
  • Electrical problems, like faulty wiring or overloaded circuits
  • Kitchen accidents, like grease fires or oven malfunctions. (especially during the holidays)
  • Appliance malfunctions, like a faulty furnace or stove
  • Wildfires that spread to your property

If you’re worried about home fires, you can get tips to avoid home fires. It’s best to find ways to mitigate against fire risk rather than seek coverage after the fact.

Also, it’s important to note that some policies may not cover wildfires, depending on where you live. However, many insurance providers offer additional coverage for wildfire damage if you live in a high-risk area. Keep in mind that every policy is different, so be sure to review your policy to see what is and isn’t covered.

What is NOT Covered Under Homeowners Insurance?

While homeowners insurance can provide protection against many types of fire damage, there are some instances that are generally not covered by a standard policy. These include intentional fires, such as arson, and fires that are the result of negligence or lack of maintenance.

It’s important to keep in mind that every policy is different, and there may be other situations that are not covered, so it’s crucial to review your policy thoroughly. It’s also important to regularly maintain your property and address any potential fire hazards to minimize the risk of a fire occurring.

Additional Coverages for Fire Damage

While a standard homeowners insurance policy typically covers fire damage to your home, it may not cover the full extent of damage or the full cost of temporary housing if you are unable to live in your home while it is being repaired. Fortunately, there are additional coverages available to help protect you and your home against the financial impact of fire damage.

One such coverage is called ‘extended replacement cost coverage.’ This coverage provides additional protection by paying out above the dwelling coverage limit if the cost of rebuilding your home exceeds your policy’s limits. Another coverage option is called ‘additional living expenses coverage.’ This covers the cost of temporary housing and living expenses if you are unable to stay in your home while it is being repaired.

It’s important to speak with your insurance provider to understand what additional coverage options are available to you and what makes sense for your specific situation. By considering these optional add-ons to your policy, you can help protect your investment and ensure you have adequate coverage in case of a fire.

The bottom line

As a homeowner, protecting your investment from unexpected events like fire damage is crucial. While homeowners insurance offers protection against many types of fire damage, it’s important to be aware of the coverage limits and any additional coverage options that are available.

By regularly reviewing your policy and understanding what is and isn’t covered, you can have peace of mind knowing that you and your home are adequately protected. Remember, every policy is different, so it’s important to speak with your insurance agent to ensure that you have the coverage you need. If you don’t have an agent, contact us, or start a quote online.

Let’s Get Started

Auto Insurance Quote

Want to know if you can save on home or auto insurance? See for yourself. Start a quote today.

Start Quote

Call today and speak with a professional insurance agent.


Follow Us!

Share via
Copy link