Skip to main content

RV Insurance Coverage

RV insurance coverage for your motorhome or travel trailer

Or insurance carriers partners are among the best specialty insurance providers because they offer products designed to protect you in nearly all situations. You can get RV insurance coverage for driving your motorhome cross-country to pulling your travel trailer to your favorite campsite. Request a quote today and we’ll help you customize your coverage to fit your unique needs.

What does travel trailer and RV insurance cover?

It doesn’t matter the type of motorhome or travel trailer you own, RV insurance helps protect your recreational vehicle if it’s damaged in an accident. With the right coverage selections, you can also get protection for personal belongings inside your RV, as well as specialized liability coverage to help protect you when your on the road or parked. Additionally, you can select medical payments protection for your passenger’s medical bills, or roadside assistance and emergency expense coverage. There are many optional coverages that can help you to tailor a package to your personal requirements.

These standard RV insurance coverages:

  • Comprehensive & Collision

    Covers your insured RV or Trailer

    Comprehensive coverage covers your RV for the things that may happen that are beyond your control, like theft, vandalism, fire, glass breakage, weather-related incidents. Alternatively, collision coverage can repair or replace your RV if damaged in an accident with an object or another vehicle, regardless of fault. Typically a deductible will apply to both of these coverages.

     Example: Your motorhome is damaged by a falling branch while parked at your favorite campsite. Comprehensive pays for the repairs, minus your deductible.

  • Liability

    Coverage for property damage and bodily injury

    Liability coverage helps pay for property damage to bodily injury you may cause to others. In fact, liability coverage is required by law if you intend to drive your motorhome. If you’re insuring a travel trailer, this will not be an option because it is pulled by another vehicle. The pulling vehicle will provide the liability coverage – so make sure the vehicle that tows your travel trailer has auto insurance.

    Example: While driving your motorhome, you cause an accident and are determined to be at fault. In the accident you damage the other vehicle and injury the other driver. Up to your limits, RV liability insurance helps to pay for the driver’s medical bills.

  • Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist

    Covers you when the other driver is not properly insured

    It’s estimated that over 12% of America’s motorists are uninsured. Many more are underinsured. If you’re hit by a motorist driving without insurance or not enough insurance, uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for your injuries, the damages to your RV, and in some cases your lost wages – if you cannot work.

    Example: You’re involved in an accident with someone who is driving without proper insurance. Your motorhome is damaged and one of your passengers is injured. Your uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for the repairs of your RV and your passeger’s medical expenses – up to the policy’s limits of liability.

  • Medical Coverage

    Covers medical expenses for you and your passengers

    Regardless of fault, medical payments coverage helps pay medical bills for you and your passengers if you’re in an accident with your motorhome. NOTE: medical payments will not apply to travel trailer policies.

    Example: You have a small fender bender while driving your motorhome and a passenger is injured. Medical payments can help pay for your passengers medical bills – up to the limit of liability. This applies regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

The extra RV insurance coverages

You can add any of these coverages to your policy based on your needs:
  • Roadside Assistance

    Help when your disabled or have a flat

    If yo purchase roadside assistance coverage, your insurance company will tow you to the nearest repair facility if your motorhome or travel trailer is disabled. Some carriers will have rules for how far from the road your disablement occurs (eg: Within 100 feet of a road or highway). In most cases, roadside assistance will also cover fuel delivery, mechanical breakdowns, flat tires, and battery replacement.

  • Total Loss Repacement

    Replace your totaled RV or trailer

    Some carriers offer a total loss replacement option. If you purchase this coverage, and your motorhome or travel trailer is determined a total loss after an accident, the company may pay for a brand new one. Keep in mind, each carrier will have different rules for how this coverage applies, when it goes toward a new vehicle, or a payout directly to the insured. Ask your agent or consult your policy for a full explanation of the rules.

    Example: If you paid $100,000 for your RV last year and it’s only worth $80,000 today, this coverage will replace your RV with a new RV of the same model year or later—even if it costs more than what you originally paid. With some companies, if you elect not to replace the motorhome, you can be reimbursed for what you originally purchase the vehicle for.

  • Replacement Cost for Personal Belongings

    Better protection for your stuff

    If you purchase this coverage you can get replacement cost protection, up to a specified amount, for personal items inside your RV. Examples of the types of items that may be included are belongings like smartphones or cameras.

  • Vacation Liability

    Added liability protection

    When this coverage is selected, you get added liability should someone get hurt in or around your RV while while vacationing. Depending on the insurance carrier, you can get liability coverage up to $10,000. In some cases, for an affordable premium, you can increase this limit all the way up to to $500,000 in coverage.

  • Full Timer’s Liability

    For permanent residents

    If you use your RV as your permanent residences, then you may have additional liability requirements. Full timers or permanent resident coverage can covered you up to a specified limit if you’re liable for injuries in and around your RV. This coverage is not for the temporary vacation user.

  • Loss Assessment

    Coverage for those with RV associations

    This coverage can help pay for fees or dollar assessments charged by your RV association for damages or repairs to common areas caused by storm. The typical limit for this type of coverage is $5000.

  • Emergency Expense Coverage

    Coverage for emergencies

    You can get you up to a certain dollar amount (typically $750) for transportation and hotel costs if your RV is disabled while on vacation. Each carrier will have different rules, but generally you will have to be more than 50 miles from home for this coverage to apply. If you want to increase this limit, some carriers will allow you to increase it up to $5000 for a premium charge.

  • Pet Insurance Coverage

    Coverage for your four-legged travel companions

    Not to be confused with pet health insurance, this coverage pays up to $1000 in vet bills if your dog or cat is injured in an accident while riding in your RV. With some insurance carriers, no deductible applies when you use this coverage. If you want pet insurance, you can get an online quote and buy online.

  • Pest damage protection

    If your motorhome or non-stationary travel trailer is damaged by a non-domesticated animal, such as a bird, rodent, or mouse, pest damage protection can pay for the repairs. With some insurance carriers, your RV must be less than six years old to be eligible for coverage and a $250 deductible applies.

Still have questions?

If you’re still confused about travel trailer vs. motorhome insurance coverage, call us at (877) 334-7646 and speak with one of our insurance agents. We understand how you value the RV lifestyle, and we’ll help you make sure your RV is classified and covered correctly.

Get an RV Insurance Quote

We make RV Insurance Coverage super easy, give us a call. It’s safe, secure, and free.

Call 1-877-334-7646 to speak with an insurance agent.